The wayback machine: Beechworth to Yackandanda

The wayback machine is a collection of stories that took place years ago, but demonstrate elements of, or turned into full blown epics. 

So I went for a roadbike ride with the dog, at midnight or so... it was a lovely ride, a little cold, but not too bad, but at the end of the ride when I got towards Yack I realised that Binnie had slowed down a lot. At that point she used to devour 30km mountain bike rides, so it wasn't an endurance issue, we'd only done 20 k's.

I stopped in the war memorial at Yack and checked her paws, she was close to running the pads off them... she was ok now, just sore, but she wouldn't make the return trip. Unfortunately my options were limited at 3am. I had a phone in the early days of mobile, but the place my parents and I were looking after was a mobile black spot, and I hadn't saved the number of the landline. I had no lead, so I couldn't tie the dog up, ride home and come pick her up.

In the end I waited in the rapidly cooling dawn, freezing, pacing and cuddling the dog to keep warm, quickly finding that what had been warm enough n the bike wasn't adequate when stationary.

Come 6am I gave up and rang a family friend that was an early riser and asked him to ring my parents and get the dog and I a lift home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hypotheticals from a hypocrite

Butterfly Wall Direct

Lunar Eclipse 31st Jan 2018